Saturday, January 3, 2009

I Went to a Marvelous Party


It's Poetry Friday, and the end of the party-going season, alas! But our livers and waistlines will thank us as we put our noses to the grindstone once again next week. In the meantime, I'll whisper in your ear that I went to a marvelous party last night, full of New York creatures, at the impeccable apartment of a fabulous creative director whose work is well known to you all. His view, more or less, is what you see in the photo above. His name is my secret. But it put me in mind of Noel Coward's deathless ditty, "I Went to a Marvelous Party," a snippet of whose lyrics appear frivolously below.

I went to a marvellous party.
We played the most wonderful game,
Maureen disappeared
And came back in a beard
And we all had to guess at her name!
We talked about growing old gracefully
And Elsie who's seventy-four
Said, "A, it's a question of being sincere,
And B, if you're supple you've noting to fear."
Then she swung upside down from a glass chandelier,
I couldn't have liked it more.

1 comment:

fusenumber8 said...

Of course that poem was turned into a song by Divine Comedy. A song which will now remain in my brain for the remainder of the day (catch ditty it).