Thursday, November 6, 2008

Golden Bunnies Beware!


Tonight is one of my favorite annual events: The Children's Book Council-sponsored EXTREME TRIVIA CHALLENGE! Employees from every New York publishing house gather themselves into teams to go head-to-head in a raucous competition to discover who the true "Know It Alls" in the world of children's publishing really are. I've met wonderful colleagues from other houses every time I've been a part of the event, so can't wait for tonight. The emcee of the event is always a fabulously funny NYC-area author--past hosts have been Jon Scieszka, Mo Willems, and Libba Bray. This year David Levithan and Rachel Cohn are hosting, which should be wonderful. And the prize? Incredible industry-wide bragging rights and the coveted Golden Bunny statues (bunnies are rather ubiquitous in the kidlit world, after all). This is the fifth year of the competition--the first year I played gained me a priceless 2nd place Golden Bunny. (Aside: is there anything funnier than an award that reads "2nd Place Know It All"? I don't think so.) Then I spent several years on the committee organizing the event, which meant that I didn't get to play, since I'd helped create all the trivia questions and knew all the answers. But now another crop of folks is running the show (hurrah for current CBC Early Career Committee!) and I get to play again, yay! Dear 1st Place Golden Bunny: will you be mine? There's a really nice spot on the bookshelf in my office just waiting for you . . . .

3 comments:

Danielle Joseph said...

Hey Molly, thought I'd be the first to comment. I enjoyed reading all the Bowen Press blog entries. And how would a chocolate bunny do:)?

curiousmartha said...

Ah, but the Golden Bunny is mine this year! At least, one of them is. You can come down the hall and visit it, if you want.

Molly O'Neill said...

Thanks for being our first commenter, Danielle. Couldn't have picked someone better to do so! (And Martha, I don't know how to tell you this, but I totally LET you win the Golden Bunny....)